Home / Legal Resources

Legal Resources

Family Law Resources
New York Divorce and Family Law Materials New York Uncontested Divorce Forms.  The New York State Unified Court System offers free instruction booklets and for people starting a divorce.


New York Domestic Relations Law The New York domestic relations law regulates all aspect of the relationship between spouses and the relationship between parent and child.


New York Family Court Act.  The Family Court has concurrent jurisdiction over child custody, child support and maintenance.  The issues of paternity, child custody and child support of children born out of wedlock are often handled in the Family Court.


Civil Procedure and Court Rules.  Aside from family offenses proceedings involving domestic violence, family law cases are litigated in the civil parts of the New York State Unified Court System.  Matrimonial litigations therefore are regulated by the Civil Procedure Law and Rules and the Uniform Rules of the New York State Unified Court System.


International Family Law.  The International Family Law Library of the American Bar Association offers a collection of case law and statutes, treaties.


The Legal Information Institute.  The LII has collections of the U.S. Code, Supreme Court opinions and updates for federal rules.  It also has a categorized database of federal and state statues and judicial decisions by topics.


The Hague Conference on Private International Law  The Hague Conference on Private International Law has developed Conventions in the areas of international protection of children, family and property relations and international legal cooperation and litigation.  The Hague Conference’s Child Abduct Section, Apostils Section and Service Section provide comprehensive information about three conventions often used in matrimonial litigations in New York: the Hague Convention on the Service Abroad of Judicial and extrajudicial Documents in Civil or Commercial Matters (Hague Service Convention), the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents (Hague Apostille Convention), and the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.


Divorce and Family Law Institutional Resources:
American Bar Association.  Link to the Section of Family Law and state and territory bar associations.


Association of Family and Conciliation Courts.  Founded in California in 1963, the AFCC has since grown to include over 2,000 lawyers, judges and other professionals committed to a constructive approach to the resolution of family conflict.


New York State Bar Association.  Offers tools and information relevant to legal service and administration in New York.


Domestic Violence:

In New York City, you may obtain emergency order of protection at

the New York City Family Court.  The family court also provides comprehensive referrals to shelters, attorneys and counselors.

Many New York communities offer shelters for battered spouses and their children.  Details on these shelters are available from

the New York State Office for Prevention of Domestic ViolenceThe New York State Coalition Against Domestic Violence provides a list of NYS licensed and approved domestic violence programs organized by county.

If you need help, contact

the National Domestic Violence Hotline at (800) 799-SAFE.  Another national resource is the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence , P.O. Box 18749, Denver, CO 80218, telephone number: 303-839-1852, fax: 303-831-9251.


Child Support:
New York State Division of Child Support Enforcement  helps custodial parents establish and enforce child support orders and locate absent parents, and the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement, provides a national electronic child support resource system for child support enforcement.


Children’s Welfare:
The New York State Office of Children and Family Services provides information about  foster care, adoption and adoption assistance, child protective services, preventive services for children and families, services for pregnant adolescents, child care and referral programs.  You can access regional offices through the site as well.


Child Abuse:
The New York State Child Protective Services receives telephone calls alleging child abuse or maltreatment within New York State. Toll Free Telephone Number:  1-800-342-3720. The U.S. Administration for Children and Families  provides protections and services to prevent child abuse nationwide. Toll Free Telephone Number: 1-800-422-4453.


Missing Children:


The New York State Missing and Exploited Children Clearinghouse (1-800-346-3543) is within the NYS Division of Criminal Justice Services.  Services provided by the MECC generally fall into three categories: investigative support services for law enforcement, assistance provided to left-behind family members and collaborating with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and other state clearinghouses.

Various national agencies can offer help in finding children who are missing.  They include:

Missing Children Help Center , 410 Ware Boulevard, Suite 710 Tampa, FL 33619-4457; Telephone: 813-623-KIDS or 800-USA-KIDS (toll-free) , or the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Charles B. Wang International Children’s Building, 699 Prince Street, Alexandria, VA 22314-3175; telephone: 800-843-5678.


New York State Adoption Service  provides information and services for adoption in New York State. For information about agency adoptions nationwide, contact the Child Welfare League of America, 440 1st Street NW, Third Floor, Washington, DC 20001. Its telephone number is 202-638-2952. FAX 202-638-4004.  You also may wish to contact the National Council for Adoption , 1930 17th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009. Its telephone number is 202-328-1200; fax 202-332-0935.


One resource on pensions is
the Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration at the U.S. Department of Labor, Room N5658, 200 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20210; copies of their publications can be ordered by calling their toll-free brochure request line at 1-800-998-7542.  The Pension Rights Center  informs employees of their rights involving pensions.  This private organization also offers booklets that explain related topics. Write to: Pension Rights Center, 918 16th Street, NW, Suite 704, Washington, DC 20006. phone number: 202-296-3776, fax: 202 -833- 2472.


Social Security:
Social Security Administration local offices can provide information on social security benefits. You can find your local office’s address and telephone number on their website.


The basic resource on federal income taxes is 
the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  The publications on family taxes include Community Property and the Federal Income Tax (Publication 555), Tax Information for Divorced or Separated Individuals (Publication 504), and Tax Rules for Children and Dependents (Publication 929).

International Family Law Resources The International Academy of Collaborative Professionalsdesigned for clients and members.

International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers  The quickest way to find a foreign family lawyer. Exclusive membership policy means many good family law specialists are not listed.  Coverage in many jurisdictions is very limited.

The International Child Abduction Database Commentary and judicial decisions on the Hague Abduction Convention.

Reunite International Child Abduction Centre.  The leading UK charity specializing in international parental child abduction.

World Legal Information Institute  A free, independent and non-profit global legal research facility covers many jurisdictions and practice areas, providing access to statutes, case law and commentary.

The Council of Europe An international organization comprising the European parliamentary democracies, is endeavoring to keep a close watch on developments in member states in order to detect as soon as possible new needs and identify subjects suitable for co-operation at European level.  The Human Rights and Legal Affairs section of the Council provide information about the developments in the field of family law in member states and co-operation at European level.

Council of the Bars and Law Societies of the European Union is the representative organization more than 700,000 European lawyers.  Links to lawyer organizations in Europe and worldwide, the main EU institutions and general legal resource sites.

The Family Law Database of the Advice on Individual Rights in Europe Centre (the AIRE Centre) provides access to judgments of the European Court of Human Rights with commentary specially tailored for the family law practitioners, cases, human rights instruments, lecture materials and family law articles.

The European Judicial Network in civil and commercial matters is managed by the European Commission and contains a large quantity of information about the Member States, Community law, European law and various aspects of civil and commercial law, including divorce, parental responsibility, maintenance claims, service of documents, and enforcement of judgments.

The European Judicial Altas in Civil Matters provides a user-friendly access to information relevant for judicial cooperation in civil matters in Europe.  With the Atlas you can easily identify the competent courts or authorities to which you may apply for certain purposes.


British and Irish Legal Information Institute (BAILII). UK and Irish case law and legislation, European Union Case law, Law Commission reports and other law related British and Irish material.

Children and Family Court Advisory Support Services (CAFCASS) represents children involved in family proceedings. The main types of cases in which the courts ask Cafcass to help are when: parents or carers are separating or divorcing and have not reached agreement about arrangements for their children; social services have become involved and children may be removed from their parents’ care for their safety; and children could be adopted.

Courts Service (England and Wales). Provides information about courts in England and Wales, some judgments and practice directions, and court forms and fees, including information about divorce.

Court Service (Scotland) Provides information about courts in Scotland, some court opinions and announcements, court forms and fees.
Court Service (Northern Ireland). Provides information about courts in Northern Ireland, recent judgments, court lists. Family Law Publisher of cases and texts on family law. Also provides training for family law professionals.
The Child Support Agency. Use the calculation as a guide to support liability.
Family Law. Imprint of Jordan Publishing Ltd., publisher of cases and texts on family law. Also provides training for family law professionals.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office. Government department dealing with foreign affairs. Includes country specific and general travel advice. Also legalises certain documents such as marriage and birth certificates for official use overseas.
HMSO. The Stationery Office, the UK government printer. Contains a number of government publications online, including public and local acts, regulations, ecclesiastical measures (General Synod of the Church of England). Order online HMSO Publications.
Home Office. Government department dealing with domestic issues. Read about domestic policies and obtain information on such matters as obtaining a British passport and applying for UK residence.

Law Commission (England and Wales). Independent body that researches and proposes reforms to existing law. Proposals are then considered by government.
Family Law Reports. Online law reports available by subscription.
Law Society of England and Wales. Body governing all practising solicitors in England and Wales.
Lord Chancellor’s Department. Government department dealing with administration of justice. Provides information about law reform, current law, civil procedure, data protection, human rights, to name a few areas covered.
Legal Services Commission. Public body that provides public funding (legal aid) for eligible persons in a range of legal cases. Includes calculators on eligibility.
London Collaborative Lawyers are a group of like minded specialist solicitors practicing Family Law independently in separate firms in the Central and Greater London areas.
UK Official Publications. Comprehensive catalogue of official government publications.
The Lord Chancellor’s Department Child Abduction Unit. Child Abduction Unit (the Central Authority for England and Wales) is resourced/staffed by the Official Solicitor’s office.
Parliament Online. Daily business and future events, see what legislation is being dealt with and read about judicial developments, find contact information for MPs.
Relate. Counselling for couples and individuals with relationship problems.
Resolution. Association of family lawyers in England and Wales subscribing to a high standard of good practice. Members aim to deal with cases in a non-confrontational way and according to a Code of Practice. Also runs a scheme allowing experienced practitioners to qualify as accredited specialists in specific areas of family law expertise.www.scotlawcom.gov.uk
Law Commission (Scotland). As above but for Scotland.www.sharingpensions.co.uk
Sharing Pensions. General information about options relating to pensions on divorce. Run by independent financial advisers.
Smith Bernal/Word Wave
Official Court of Appeal and Administrative Court/Crown Office transcripts, available through an annual subscription or on an individual fee basis per judgment.
UK College of Family Mediators. Provides information about family mediation and family mediators. Uk Online (not previously in list. Hyperlink herewith) Information about government and government services.
Delia Venables. Information for solicitors and individuals about legal resources in the UK and abroad. Includes information solicitors, legal resources and training.

www.fed.gov.au/ Australian Commonwealth Government. Information about departments of the Australian government. Includes information about immigration, welfare benefits and law.
Australian Institute for Family Studies. Australian cases and legislation.
Child Support Agency. Information about the child support scheme, including how it works, forms and what to do if you disagree with a child support calculation.
Family Court of Australia and Federal Magistrates Court of Australia portal.
Family Law Section – Law Council of Australia. Provides and overview of family law in Australia and lists of family practitioners.
Federal Magistrates’ Service
Information about the Federal Magistrates’ Service, an alternative to the Family Court of Australia in many cases. Explains jurisdiction and how cases are conducted, and has links to listings services.
FindLaw Australia. Free Australian legal information for legal professionals and general public. Provides summaries on developments, links to cases and information about specific areas of law.
Southern Cross Group. An Australian avocacy organisation which speaks on behalf of some 820,000 Australians who live overseas. Lobbied successfully for dual citizenship rights legislation in 2002.
Expatriate Connect. An Australian network connecting Australians abroad with the Australian business community: a bridge for recognising and sharing international expertise.

Fam RZ. Magazine providing updates on German family law.
Oxford University Comparative Law Forum. Articles and discussion forums. Concentrates on German and English law, but also deals with law of other countries.
Försäkringskassan (Social Insurance Office). Information om olika slags bidrag och understöd, allmän pension och blanketter. Information about various benefits, old age pension, application forms.
Sveriges Advokatsamfund (Swedish Bar Association) (incorrect hyperlink – correct link herewith)
Samfund med tillsyn över advokater i Sverige. Sök en svensk advokat och länkar till andra svenska hemsidor. Body governing advocates in Sweden. Find a Swedish advocate and links to other Swedish websites.
Sweden Direct – Information om den svenska offentliga sektorn. Länkar till statliga myndigheter och bolag, Sveriges riksdag, lagar och förordningar. Official information about Swedens’ Public Sector. Includes links to public bodies, such as Swedish parliament, law resources and Police.
Sveriges Domstolsverk. National Courts Administration – Information om svenskt domstolsväsende, inkluderande addresser, blanketter och viss information på engelska. Information about Swedish courts and judiciary, including addresses, forms, with some information available in English.
Sveriges Riksdag. Swedish Parliament – Information om Sveriges riksdag, dess ansvarsområden, ledamöter, politiska partier och kalender. Information about the Swedish Parliament, including its responsibilities, members, political parties and agendas for the day.
Sveriges Regering. Swedish Government – Information om regeringskansliet, statsråd. Information about Government offices, members of the Government. Sweden Information om Sverige, svenskar och svenska händelser. Information about Sweden, Swedes and Swedish events.

AUSTRALIA (States and territories)
Family Court of Western Australia

NEW ZEALANDwww.govt.nz/

New Zealand Government Site. Information about New Zealand Government services and departments. New Zealand Law Society Body governing practice of all lawyers (barristers and solicitors) in New Zealand.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form